THE RISKS OF EATING RAW HONEY
HOME
MEDICINE
MESSAGES
ABOUT US
WEBRADIO
SPIRITUAL
FHU
OBAMA
SURVIVAL
GUNS


THE RISKS OF EATING RAW HONEY

Honey is a sweet, sticky substance produced by bees and other insects that collect nectar from flowers. Raw honey is not pasteurized, so spores and pollens naturally inside the honey remain there. Although many people believe in the healing powers of raw honey, there are serious potential side effects, such as allergic reaction, intoxication and food poisoning.

You may come down with a case of food poisoning after eating raw honey. Raw honey is a potential source of botulism spores, according to Mayo Clinic. Symptoms of food poisoning from botulism include stomach cramps, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and fever.

In adults, these symptoms are generally initially more uncomfortable than dangerous, but can become life-threatening if they are left untreated. In babies, whose immune systems are still weak, botulism is very serious and you should call a doctor immediately. The National Institutes of Health recommends that babies under one year old never be given honey, and that people of all ages should eat only pasteurized honey to be safe from food poisoning. Also, you shouldn't eat raw honey if you have a known allergy to bee venom.

Some people eat raw honey in the belief that the tiny particles of pollen in local honey can be considered an inoculation that will make your seasonal allergies less intense. By eating small amounts of the trees or flowers you are allergic to in the honey, the theory is, you build up your tolerance to these allergens. However, this theory is flawed and the side effects are dangerous, according to Chris Wagner, a nurse at Dallas Children’s Medical Center.

Wagner said he has seen cases of anaphylactic shock in people who eat raw honey with allergens in it. Anaphylactic shock is an allergic reaction at its worst, as its symptoms are widespread and include difficulty breathing, low blood pressure, dizziness, fainting, heart failure and possible death. Signs of less severe allergic reactions that may result from eating honey include, itching, puffy skin and rash. There have also been cases of iritis, an inflamation of one or both eyes, occuring after consumption of raw honey. Because you cannot control how much pollen is in the raw honey you eat, Wagner does not recommend consuming it to help treat allergies.

Honey can be made from many different kinds of flowers, such as flowers in the Ericaceae family that includes Rhododendron—a common garden plant. The nectar of flowers in this family contains a substance called grayanotoxin, according to a 1997 article published in the journal Food and Chemical Toxicology. The article, titled “Poisoning by Mad Honey: A Brief Review,” explains that grayanotoxins are chemicals that are toxic to the your nervous system. They prevent nerve cells from functioning properly, and therefore prevent your brain from being able to properly control your body. Grayanotoxins will be killed during the honey pasteurization process, but may be present in certain types of raw honey.

Mild honey intoxication side effects include weakness, dizziness, sweating, nausea, vomiting and a prickling sensation inside your body. Heart problems are a more serious side effect possible if large amounts of raw honey is consumed. Also, since honey is a natural product, it may contain organic debris of honeybees, flowers and other material. The flower nectar that honeybees gather to produce the honey may have been subjected to pesticides, fertilizers or other dangerous chemicals. During the pasteurization process, these materials are removed and the chemicals are neutralized.

- livestrong.com - R.J.E.

















E-Mail: NORTHSTARZONE@YAHOO.COM

HOME
MEDICINE
MESSAGES
ABOUT US
LISTEN
SPIRITUAL
FHU
OBAMA
SURVIVAL
GUNS
>