President Trump has a plan for dealing with armed people who could be dangerous: Confiscate the guns first and ask questions in court later.
On Wednesday, the president declared that he supports removing guns from individuals who could pose a threat to themselves or others, even if it violates their rights to due process.
“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida … to go to court would have taken a long time,” Trump explained during a meeting with lawmakers to discuss school safety and gun violence.
“Take the guns first,” he said. “Go through due process second.”
Watch Trump’s statements:
The president’s comments came in response to remarks by Vice President Mike Pence, who said families and police should be given more effective tools to report potentially dangerous people who own weapons.
Pence had said, “Allow due process so no one’s rights are trampled, but the ability to go to court, obtain an order and then collect not only the firearms but any weapons …”
But Trump responded, “Or Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court.”
It’s unclear what standards would be used to determine whether an individual is dangerous and should have their guns confiscated. It’s also unclear who would make that decision before the individual was given due process.
As WND reported, Trump has also expressed support for increased federal background checks for gun purchases.
Florida shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz, 19, had obtained as many as 10 rifles in the last year, CNN reported. Authorities said the AR-15 he used to kill 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School was purchased legally. The FBI admitted “protocols were not followed” after the agency received a tip that Cruz was threatening to kill people.
During his presidential campaign, Trump was vocal in his opposition to gun-control measures, telling a National Rifle Association convention he’d “never, ever infringe” on the constitutional right to keep and bear arms.